Umanest Limited (we, us, our) complies with the New Zealand Privacy Act 1993 (the Act) when dealing with personal information.
This policy sets out how we will collect, use, disclose and protect your personal information.
Your privacy is very important to us. Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or comments about privacy, or how any information you send us may be used. This text explains how your personal information is used and protected.
2. Changes to this policy
We may change this policy by uploading a revised policy onto the website. The change will apply from the date that we upload the revised policy.
3. Who do we collect your personal information from
We collect personal information about you from:
- You, when you provide that personal information to us, including via the website and any related service, through any registration or subscription process, through any contact with us (e.g. online messaging, email or telephone call), or when you use our services and products
- Social media accounts (Facebook, LinkedIn or Google+) should you have logged in with Umanest using your social media account and its authentication service
- Other third parties where you have authorised this (i.e credit check)
We collect both current and historical personal information which may include information about:
- your name, contact details, date of birth, identification, payment details, organisation, interests, preferences, opinions and enquiry/complaint details;
- your property details including location, price, features, description and rental status;
- your use of our products and services and your other dealings with us, including records of any contact we have with you by telephone, email or online;
- your tenancy database history, court records, missed rent payments and bankruptcy status; and
- your linked social media accounts.
4. How we use your personal information
We will use your personal information:
- to provide services and products to you, such as allowing you to privately share your information with the landlord(s) or appointed agent(s) as designated by you, or request a reference from a referee also designated by yourself
- to improve the services and products that we provide to you, in an effort to support a sustainable relationships between tenants and landlords
- to market our services and products to you, including contacting you electronically (e.g. by text or email for this purpose)
- to undertake credit checks of you (only upon your request)
- to bill you and to collect money that you owe us, including authorising and processing credit card transactions
- to respond to communications from you, including a complaint
- to conduct research and statistical analysis (on an anonymised basis)
- to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim
- for any other purpose authorised by you or the Act.
Providing some information is optional. If you choose not to enter your basic contact details (i.e first name, last name, email address, phone number), we will be unable to provide the service of sharing your profile privately with the a landlord or appointed agent upon your request.
5. Disclosing your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
- any other person authorised by you, by requesting to share your user profile
- any business that supports our services and products, including any person that hosts or maintains any underlying IT system or data centre that we use to provide the website or other services and products
- a credit reference agency for the purpose of credit checking you (only upon your request)
- other third parties (for anonymised statistical information)
- a person who can require us to supply your personal information (e.g. a regulatory authority)
- any other person authorised by the Act or another law (e.g. a law enforcement agency)
A business that supports our services and products may be located outside New Zealand. This may mean your personal information is held and processed outside New Zealand.
6. Protecting your personal information
We keep your information safe by utilising the most current security tools available to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of all registered users, all information is protected through secure socket layer (SSL) software which encrypts the data to protect it during transmission and maintaining this information, encrypted, on a secure, protected server.
We will take all reasonable steps to keep your personal information safe from loss, unauthorised activity, or other misuse.
You are solely responsible for keeping your passwords and/or account information secret. You should be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
7. Accessing and correcting your personal information
Subject to certain grounds for refusal set out in the Act, you have the right to access your readily retrievable personal information that we hold and to request a correction to your personal information.
You can log in to Umanest, have access to your profile and can make the necessary changes to update, correct or remove part or all of your data.
Before you exercise this right, we will need evidence to confirm that you are the individual to whom the personal information relates.
In respect of a request for correction of a record collected via a third party such as a reference or a credit report, if we think the correction is reasonable and we are reasonably able to change the personal information, we will make the correction. If we do not make the correction, we will take reasonable steps to note on the personal information that you requested the correction.
If you want to exercise either of the above rights, email us at [email protected]
Your email should provide evidence of who you are and set out the details of your request (e.g. the personal information, or the correction, that you are requesting).
8. Cookies and device identifiers
We may collect, hold, and use statistical information about visits to help us improve the site and our services, for instance:
- Your IP address
- The pages accessed on our site and the links you clicked on
- The date and time you visited the site
- Downloads made from the site
- The referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this site
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Mac OS X)
- The type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox)
- The data collected is aggregated and is not personally identifiable. IP addresses are masked so that they cannot be used to identify individuals. Our web analytics will also respect any “do not track” setting you might have set on your browser.
We also use tracking cookies to analyse non-identifiable web traffic data to improve our services. This data is aggregated and cannot personally identify you. We use Google Analytics, a third party service to analyse the web traffic data for us. We will not share this data with any other party for any other purpose.
9. Contacting us
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 09 215 3991
Address: 43 Anzac Ave, Auckland, NZ